Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Creating Characters Part II

How do you get your characters?  Do you think about them for a long period of time and have them fully fleshed out in your mind before you start writing, or do you let them develope themselves.
I believe I blogged in an earlier blog, my characters in "The Tower" took on a life of their own and just were there.  I would come up with a name, and my main character developed as my story went along, plus several others.  I don't think there is a right or wrong way, unless you tend to have very flat one dimensional characters.

My characters for "The Tower," was not based on anyone I knew.  When my sister read the book she knew my main character was her.  I just let her go on thinking down that line.  Maybe she was, but it was on a unconsious level from me.

When it comes to your characters development there are questions you can ask yourself that will help the development.  Below is a list of possible questions.

1.  What is your character's name?  Is there a nick name?
2.  What is the character's hair and eye color?
3.  Any distinct physical features?  Scar, long eye lashes, birthmark, tatoo, ect.
4.  Who are your characters family and friends?  Who is the character closest to?
5.  Where and when was your character born?
6.  What type of personality does your character have?
7.  What is your characters desires and fears?
8.  Does your character have a secret?
9.  Where does your character live?  What type of abode? House, apartment, tent, ect.
10.  What does your character do when he/she is angry?

The questions can go on and on and with each answer you develop your character.  You man not use all of the information, but you have it, if needed.

If you are writing a story about good versus bad, then you would need to develop two characters, the protagonist(good) and the antagonist(bad).  You want to develop round characters and this can be accomplished with a little bit of thought and time for your characters.
Enjoy the video:  Joyce Carol Oates - On Writing Characters
http://youtu.be/LgJ809QKmas

1 comment:

  1. I do a little bit of both.

    What type of nursing did you do?

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete