Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Are You Crafty?

This is an image I took in Saigon, Vietnam las...
I don’t mean making things.  I’m actually going to talk about the craft of writing.  Knowing the craft of writing means knowing the rules such as showing the story, not telling it.
It’s said writing becomes easier if you know the craft behind it.  Knowing the craft can get you to the end product faster, because you aren’t stalled trying to figure out if, what you have written works in the mind of the reader.  It was pointed out in one of my many books I read, you should study the masters of writing such as painters study the masters of painting.

Read what you like to read, because more than likely that’s what you want to write also.  Why do you like to read the particular books you do?  The main thing to watch for  emulating your favorite writers in books is not to imitate the writing.  You have to know the difference between emulating and imitation.

Why do you write fiction?  For me it’s the creation aspect of what ever topic I’m dealing with at the time.  In my Gotham “Writing Fiction,” one person wrote “Writing puts me into a world that has not been created yet.  Another person wrote, “It’s the only socially acceptable way to be a compulsive liar.”  Everyone has their own reason for writing what they do.

Knowing the craft of writing is the “building blocks of creative writing.”  It encompasses the development of your  characters, the plot, the dialogue, style and point of view.  So you can see how important it is to develop the knowledge of your craft (writing).
It’s hard for me to imagine my words may someday cause a person to say “wow,” when they’re read.  I want to learn the craft of writing and develop it to a point it will consistently receive those “wow” remarks.

That’s my two-cents for today.
http://youtu.be/R1TbTCDHKRY

No comments:

Post a Comment